PRESS RELEASE: DAMERY DRAFTS MOTION URGING CITY COUNCIL TO ADOPT HER ENHANCED COVID MEASURES
CALGARY – Jan Damery on Thursday released her own motion ahead of the Emergency Management Committee Meeting set to occur Friday. Damery’s motion would lead to the adoption of enhanced COVID-19 measures.
Damery is urging members of Council to adopt her vaccine passport proposal at the upcoming Emergency Management Committee Meeting. Councillor Carra called for the meeting, identifying the need for Council to have a conversation around COVID restrictions.
Damery says a conversation doesn’t go far enough. She has produced a motion which would direct city administration to prepare a bylaw reinstating the face covering bylaw while introducing vaccine passports.
“For weeks we’ve known the risks of another lockdown. I’m concerned that the City Council just isn’t moving fast enough” said Damery. “I’m glad to see Councillor Carra calling this meeting, but we are yet to see a robust plan presented by any Councillor as to how we keep Calgarians safe, businesses open, and prevent another lockdown”.
Damery, who has been calling for vaccine passports for the last month, gathered a coalition of Council candidates on Monday in support of her COVID response plan. Her proposal, outlined in the draft motion, would reinstate the mask bylaw with some modifications, so that only fully vaccinated individuals would be able to remove their masks inside public places which choose to exclude unvaccinated members of the public, like eating areas of restaurants and bars. Unvaccinated members of the public would not be permitted to enter these spaces.
“We know that vaccines work and that vaccine passports are a great incentive to increase vaccine rates” said Damery. Given the rising case counts, we need to act quickly. That’s why I’m presenting a fully formed plan for Council to adopt. And I urge them to do so”.
Council will be meeting to discuss the possible introduction of new COVID measures on Friday afternoon.
Damery’s draft motion:
That the Emergency Management Committee directs Administration to:
Develop a bylaw mandating individuals wear face coverings in indoor public premises and public vehicles with the following exceptions:
* Children under 2 years of age;
* Persons with an underlying medical condition or disability which inhibits their ability to wear a face covering;
* Persons who are unable to place, use or remove a face covering safely without assistance;
* Persons who are caregiving for or accompanying a person with a disability where wearing a face covering would hinder the accommodation of the person’s disability;
Develop in the above bylaw a “vaccine passports” or proof of vaccination systems—allowing indoor public premises or portions of indoor public premises where only members of the public presenting proof of vaccination (or are exempted by being ineligible for vaccination by age) are permitted, and that in those spaces members of the public are permitted to remove their masks with the follow exception:
* Those unable to be vaccinated due to age;
- Include a broad definition of proof of vaccination in the draft bylaw including: paper records provided by vaccine providers including AHS and pharmacies; photos of the above records; downloaded records from the Government of Alberta’s MyHealth Records, including in printed form;
- Direct Administration to integrate a sunset clause into the draft bylaw including the following conditions: Health Canada approved vaccines have been available for individuals aged 6+ for 4 months; and, that there are fewer than 50 active COVID-19 cases per 100k in Calgary.
And bring these and any further recommendations as urgent business to the September 13, 2021 meeting of Council.